Monday, August 13, 2007

THE INSIDER: LEAH MCSWEENY

Womens streetwear brand Married to the MOB's founder/designer on how she makes people stare...

Married to the M.O.B. founder and designer Leah McSweeny swears she is sweet. But she’s still got the moxie to have launched a streetwear label for ladies from her downtown New York City apartment amidst the likes of boy brands Alife and aNYthing, get graffiti artist KAWS to design exclusive bikinis season after season, collaborate with legends in the luggage game Goyard, and, oh yeah, care for her new baby! We checked in with the 'Most Official Bitch' on how she makes people stare and her plans for world domination.

mail

How did growing up in New York influence your interest in fashion?
I think the majority of kids growing up in the city are all interested in fashion in one way or another. New York is one of the world's fashion capitals, so how could fashion not play a big part in your life? For instance… I went to private school on the Upper East Side and girls were asking for Prada shoes in 5th grade. Then I moved to Connecticut and went to public high school and the kids definitely had never even heard of Prada. One extreme to the next pretty much. NYC kids live at a fast pace--it's always gonna be that way.

How and why did you start MOB?
Very simple: Coming up with four tee designs and taking pictures of my friends wearing them! I started MOB 'cause crazy bitches with big mouths around the globe needed a brand to identify with. And the name... let's just say the name chose me.

What's the MOB's whole design philosophy/aesthetic?
Basically, MOB is on some NYC shit that we grew up on. I like to make tees that are gonna make people stare at them on the street and try to read what they say, and then say "That shirt is hot, where'd you cop that at!?" No two girls who wear MOB are the same. But something they all have in common: they all know what time it is!

mail-2

Are you really as tough as people would imagine you to be?
Even tougher: 29 hour labor with no epidural. Haha. I am sweet I swear. I am only tough when I need to be and that's what matters. Who wants a friend that is just nice all the time? That would be so wack. I'm that girl who you can count on when you need someone to stand up for you or throw a drink at some asshole guy who just pinched your ass. Know what I mean? People have this notion that I am tough but I just speak my mind and always try to do the right thing, that's all.

What has your favorite MOB collaboration been with? Who would you love to work with?
My bikinis with Kaws ’cuz I love to work with him. I think he's hysterical and I learn from his mysterious and snobby ways. Love to work with? Karl Lagerfeld!!!

mail-1

What's next for MOB?!
Worldwide Domination. I won't settle for anything less.

marriedtothemobnyc.com

No comments: